Sunday, March 2, 2008

Thing #10: Wikis, Pt 2

The wiki software I used at work recently to create a staff wiki (see post, below) wasn't all that intuitive. There's also a risk of accidentally deleting links or posts in a wiki if you don't know what you're doing.

Something that was announced last week might prove to be an improvement on the concept of a wiki: Google Sites. It looks like it might be a combination of a wiki (allowing collaboration) and a web page creator (allowing addition of features such as images, movies, calendar and documents). It can be used for team projects, staff intranets, classrooms, etc. Google calls it "one-stop sharing for team information".

Instead of having to go to all kinds of sites and create profiles, it would be nice to have everything in one place. Google Sites seems to take care of that. I haven't used Sites yet, but I like the idea of a WYSIWYG editor and the ability to add so many features easily into the product. And, I like the idea of it being easier and more intuitive than traditional wiki software.

No comments: