Sunday, March 2, 2008

Thing #10: Wikis

I watched the Common Craft video on wikis. Nice job in simplifying the concept of a wiki.

I looked at examples of wikis. I wish my system could use something like this for a new books list instead of the way I create the list now. I'd like more people to collaborate.

I left a note on the 23 Things wiki from DogMom Librarian. I didn't get all of the editing toolbar options, such as for changing font size & color, while in Safari browser; I had to open up Firefox browser for the entire toolbar to appear.

I created a wiki at work in December. I received permission to use existing wiki software. Without training, a co-worker and I played with it (making mistakes) and created a wiki for our group of libraries. It contained sections such as "What's new", "Branch news", "Staff training", "Committees", "Staff profiles", etc. We put in (optional) profiles of staff, listings of training opportunities (internal and external), technology tips, committee info, notes from managers, etc. I created a training sheet for staff and a PowerPoint, but unfortunately the wiki never launched. Due to my sickness on the day I was supposed to present it and a management decision to not pursue it, it appears dead (at least for the moment). It's unfortunate since I think it would have been a great communication tool for managers and staff. It would have allowed collaboration with staff in multiple libraries, improved communication, a better forum than email, etc. It still was a great opportunity, though, in learning how to edit/use a wiki from scratch--without any assistance. I'm not sorry I participated in this and spent many hours on it because I learned so much.

No comments: