Sunday, April 6, 2008

Thing #22: What Did I Learn Today?

And the learning continues with Learning 2.1!

I do a fair amount of reading about new technologies in libraries--when I have time, that is. And I watch video clips and attend some webinars if possible.

I also attended the Internet Librarian conference in Monterey last October. I would highly recommend it for those of you whose work budgets could swing the fees for you. I thought that it was the most motivating conference I've been to. Not just philosophical ideas, but examples of what libraries are doing. It also made me put some names to faces of the people who are leaders in the field--those who write articles and blogs on technology in libraries. It made me interested in following up and reading their blogs.

One of the sessions that I went to at the conference recommended that staff have time to play and to investigate what's going on in the field. Take 15 minutes per day, maybe those 15 minutes that don't allow you to start a new project. Of course, in my library, we're almost always busy and there are no "extra" 15 minutes. That's why I did this entire 23 Things at home and do most of my extra reading at home, too.

With conferences, even if you can't attend, you can sometimes get the conference PowerPoints or speakers notes later on the web. It's not the full effect of seeing the speaker, but it lets you dabble in a subject.

One site that is a fun way to keep up with new gadgets is Engadget. Gizmodo does something similar, but I prefer the humor of Engadget.

Occasionally DemoGirl has some interesting things to watch.

I do need to make a resolution to read my RSS feeds/blogs more. I've signed up for so many but just don't get back to them very often. So many do help you keep up with technology. And I want to listen to more podcasts.

No comments: