Sunday, April 6, 2008

Thing #23: The Finale!



Hip Hip Hurray! I'm partly disappointed that it's over, but this has taken more time than I had expected (and I've done it all at home), so I need to move on to other work for the time being. Maybe this summer I can continue with Learning 2.1!

The part of this that was most valuable for me was that I actually had to DO the things, not just read about them. There's a big difference!

I am disappointed that more librarians in my library system didn't participate in this. There's so much apathy and disinterest. Even if staff don't use some of these tools for themselves, they should be aware of what's out there. I'm more of a believer, now, that social networking sites aren't just for teens and it's not just a fad that will go away in a couple of years. Change, maybe, but not go away. A few years ago, librarians were probably some of the more technology-oriented people with our catalogs and databases, but after participating in 23 Things, I believe that we're mostly far behind the general public. That's falling behind to the point where I'm not sure we'll recover.

Unfortunately, our library system either can't or won't try some of these technologies for the web site. We're restricted by the county. We'll never be one of those "engaged" or "innovative" libraries at this rate.

Thanks to the organizers of this. I had heard about the program earlier but it's more meaningful to have it available to our state. We should all have a party that we did this!

1 comment:

23 Things said...

Great comments in your final post--thanks for sharing. Congratulations on finishing all 23 things; it is a great accomplishment.

I hope your enthusiasm will spread to your co-workers.

Watch for more Things On a Stick in fall or winter.